Projection Close 7/29



To do this evening/ was completed: Added notes to the shutdown procedures for Monday night before the power gets cut Tuesday morning. This is on the desktop in 4/6. Jack, we'll be sure to send you a reminder, and you can always call if you have questions. I'll be on standby these next few days. I added a note about the computers and if you forget to shut these down, it's not a big deal because out APCs should provide backup power to keep them on for just a short while (after the power cut) before slowly and safely shutting them down. The one thing to remember is just ejecting the drives. 

Note for Oppenheimer maintenance: Projectionists, this is just a lil reminder to make sure you're cleaning before, between, and after shows. Check everything. Use an air can and you'll see that this print is still in its shedding phase. Newer prints shed more because the emulsion is still soft, so cleaning the gate, rollers, and checking the brain(s) is absolutely necessary. 

Presentation Issues: My first round of Oppenheimer on 35mm went beautifully (which was second round). Unfortunately, we had to go with DCP for the last show. I got a small brain wrap when starting the motor to get to the final countdown. I don't know why this happened, but I have theories (below). Everything looked great as far as threading/tension goes, so it was a bummer. Basically, it is what it sounds like: the film starts to wrap around the brain, constricting it like a snake and its prey. I let MOD know that I would need a few minutes (during the trailers) in order to fix it and that we would be delayed for a second. I quickly realized I wasn't sure how long it would take to unravel it properly and didn't want folks to wait, so I told Jarred we should just go with DCP. Funnily enough, I was able to get the film correctly situated pretty fast, maybe 3 minutes into the DCP, but didn't want to awkwardly take folks out of it by telling them we'd go back to analog. No one left and seemed happy just to be there for the show. Despite running DCP, I ran the platter just to make sure everything is working properly. It ran perfectly fine. We'll be alright for tomorrow. Freak accidents like this happen, normally it has to do with tension, but the tension was fine...Here's a recap in video form ( I also just took this for reassurance so that everyone can feel comfortable moving forward tomorrow): platter recap

I took another two videos for Alec (you'll find them with the same link above), detailing a theory I have which is basically that there's this squeaky/wind like noise coming from the brain (thing I mentioned in a previous blog or two. a sonic splice or so causes the film to bunch a little towards the end of the film. we already talked about this too, i've just been trying to catch it whenever i see it). I noticed it the other day and it's almost as if the rollers need to be oiled (we don't actually do this!) but it could be that a slight alignment adjustment could be made, OR I think we should perhaps try to shave down the minuscule bit in the middle of the rollers (it's an unfortunate manufacturing thing with these where there's this tiny bit of plastic that sticks out...it's SUPER tiny, barely visible to the eye. only noticeable when you touch it). Should just check out the rollers in general/alignment. Both of these things could potentially be latching onto/ preventing the film to move as freely through the brain as it should, holding it back and causing a potential brain wrap. I do seriously think we'll be fine for tomorrow, but it wouldn't hurt trying everything we can to prevent this type of situation as much as possible. Alec and I already talked about how, when moving the print, it took a couple of run throughs to make sure it didn't have many bumps/bunches and it's still a tad bit wonky whenever those sonic splices go through. Thanks to everyone for making it to the end of this long spiel. As my Mother always says, "brevity is not in our DNA," so I really do appreciate you reading.  

Preshow Clips/Playlist:

Trailer Updates:

Special Events/ AV set up:

Ordering/Receiving (posters & trailers):

Ordering/Receiving (content):

Outgoing/Shipping (content):

Print/video Inspection:

Asset tracking doc updated/checked?:

Maintenance/cleaning: Took the Dj key from 4/6 and put it in the Trees bin. Since so much has been going on lately, I think it's absolutely time we check in with our supplies bins to make sure that nothing is missing/in the right place and corresponds with the list we have on each one. We can do that this week. I know I'll be gone, but if anyone wants to start on this during an admin shift, I would greatly appreciate it and can check in properly when I'm back in on Thursday. 

Worked on my feedback for reviews. 

Cue sheets updated/checked (every shift): Final round of Asteroid City in T7 was off. It read that preshow should be 10:05 instead of 9:50. This did not impact the show as we caught it beforehand. I adjusted this, let MOD know of the new end time/credits start time. Since this is the same for Sunday, I adjusted it there, too. 

Went into T4/6 server station to write down the changes for Oppenheimer credits. 

Marquee updated?:

Posters updated?:

Cleaning lights on for the night?:

Projection cart by entrance?:

Additional Notes:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Projection Admin 7/19

NPP Projection 11/17 Close

NPP Projection Admin 3/24